December 11, 2009

Blackout in Santa Cruz The Day After "No Impact Man" Screening A Coincidence?



With the electricity going out in parts of Santa Cruz last night, I am sure everyone who came to the "No Impact Man" screening got to feel what it would be like to be Colin Beavan and his family. No lights, no refrigerator, no TV, no heat. Thankfully it was only for an hour or two, not one year!
The screening on Wednesday night was a huge success, over 500 people showed up and they were sold out! It was great to see so many people come and support such a great and unique movie.
Our board member Wallace "J" Nichols introduced the film by talking about his 20 mile walk he took to get to the screening that day. He left at 8am in the morning from his home in Davenport and got into Santa Cruz around 5pm!

After watching the movie, I found myself really wanting to try to be "no impact". I do ride my bike to work on occasion, I have a compost bin, I put on a sweatshirt before I turn up the heat, but there is so much more I could do! This movie really left me feeling inspired. Seeing this family (Colin, his wife and his 2 year old daughter) do "no impact" in New York City in an apartment building means that anyone can do it! My favorite part of the movie was when Colin's wife, Michelle, saw a TV in a thrift store and looked at it longingly then told the camera "I think ours was a little bigger...it just reminds me of our TV."

Here is the family in their no impact SUV!

2 comments:

  1. I loved the movie. Inspiring with great perspectives and also hilarious! I'm reminded to eat more locally, reconnect to the seasons of the earth, have dinner parties by candle light, and enjoy my ice cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we should do a 'no impact city' in Santa Cruz for 48 hours and see how that goes...

    It was great to be at the screening with you all, thank you for helping make this event a success!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!