December 21, 2009

Calling All Ocean Lovers! Volunteer program starts soon!


The renowned Sanctuary Steward Program prepares citizens to become high impact marine educators, community organizers and resident experts on issues affecting the Monterey Bay. Stewards help to educate the greater community on issues such as pollution prevention, marine debris, habitat conservation and marine fisheries.

Program participants receive a professional level education from highly renowned Marine Biologists and Conservationists. In turn, Stewards make a personal pledge of 50 volunteer hours per year to volunteer for Save Our Shores.



Our highly trained Stewards are poised to take leadership rolls in hosting beach clean-ups, making presentations and attending special events. To read more about program requirements please read the Steward Job Description and Volunteer Pledge.

Who are the Stewards? Our Steward program is made up of people from all walks of life. We enjoy the help of retired business folks, professionals, and college students.

Who should apply? Anyone who is enthusiastic about the ocean and interested in working with the public! We are looking for leaders. We need volunteers willing to lead clean-up events and host tables at community festivals.

Under age? With in the Steward Program anyone under the age of 16 must have an adult partner to volunteer with. Parent/child teams are encouraged to apply.

Apply Now! Application deadline is January 31st, 2010.

"The ocean provides me many things-reflection, sustenance, playtimes-and because of this, and by the laws of mutual respect, I want to give back to the big, blue ocean in whatever way possible, while encouraging others to join me along the way." Colleen Bednarz (Class of 2009)

"I live blue because my brain tells me that there are countless convincing reasons that water quality is imporant, and my heart tells me it is the right thing to do." Greg Pepping (Class of 2009)


"I was volunteering at the Oakland Boat Show and I talked to a guy about the North Pacific Gyre and the giant trash heap. When I showed him photos of the trash piling up on the beach, he started to cry. I knew right then that this information touches people's hearts and once they learn about it, they want to make a change in their own lives to make a difference" Bonnie McKinney (Class of 2009)

"We have a motto in my family. We can't do it all, but we can all do a little. Every little bit helps. I can't do it all, but I can do my part." Rachael Anderson (Class of 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!