September 25, 2012
Beer lovers, foodies, fall enthusiasts, and friends of Save Our Shores are invited to attend the 1st annual Oktoberfest by the Sea: Sept 29 & 30,
12 pm – 6 pm
A family-friendly event taking place in the lot next to the Davenport Roadhouse where you'll enjoy:
• Delicious food and drink like a variety of sausages, grilled chicken, sauerkraut, goulash soup, and five different beers.
• Music by Davenport Roadhouse’s favorite rock & rollers, the Coffis Brothers, and the alt-country McCoy Tyler Band from 2 pm – 6 pm.
• Jumpy house, face painting, and games for kids.
• Raffle with lots of great items from local businesses.
• FREE admission!
Oktoberfest benefits “Tip the Ocean,” a new program in partnership with LiVBLUE and Save Our Shores to raise funds for local beach clean-ups and to bring kids to the ocean.
The restaurant will also be open if you would like to join us there for our regular menu featuring fresh and creative California cuisine.
Posted by Save Our Shores at 4:31 PM
September 24, 2012
BLUE Ocean Film Festival presents Title Wave 2012, a special book signing event with your favorite celebrity authors!
Saturday, Sept. 29th from 11 am - 1 pm, at the Portola Plaza Hotel in Monterey.
Get your signed copy, limited edition books, and meet the authors: Sylvia Earle, Celine Cousteau, Mara Kerr, Chris Palmer, Fabien Cousteau, David Helvarg, and More!
Don't miss this one time gathering of celebrated and influential ocean champtions or the chance to take home a little BLUE with you!
Be part of BLUE history at Title Wave!
The BLUE Ocean Film Festival takes place from Sept. 24-30, in beautiful Monterey.
Every two years ocean leaders, filmmakers, photographers, scientists, explorers, entertainment executives – and the general public-- gather in Monterey at BLUE to honor the best n ocean filmmaking, to learn more about the issues facing our oceans, and to collaborate on improving the future of our oceans and humanity. The seven-day event is charged with energy as these diverse groups of people share knowledge and ideas with each other and with the general public.
The four elements that make up BLUE come together to create a truly unique event that:
- Honors the world’s best ocean films through the best-in-class film competition.
- Promotes the critical dialog between filmmakers and scientists, to inspire great films.
- Connects ocean filmmakers with the latest technology, financing and distribution resources.
- Engages & Empowers public audiences -- in Monterey and around the globe -- by Sharing the World’s Greatest Collection of Ocean Films.
Posted by Save Our Shores at 11:43 AM
September 17, 2012
Nearly 3,500 Coastal Cleanup Day Volunteers in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties Prevent Almost 17,000 lbs. of Pollution from Trashing our Sanctuary!
We love our volunteers.
In just three hours, at over 70 cleanup sites throughout Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties, 3,491 volunteers took ocean conservation into their own hands by removing 16,827 pounds of debris in an area spanning from Wadell Creek to the Big Sur coast. See our photo album at http://tinyurl.com/accd-2012...
In Santa Cruz County, 2,354 volunteers spread across 76 miles of beach, river, lake, creek and slough to remove 9,947 pounds of pollution and debris in just three hours.
In Monterey County, 1,137 volunteers spread across 81 miles of beach, river, lake, creek and slough to remove 6,879 pounds of pollution and debris in just three hours.
The top five cleanup sites with the most poundage removed were, in order:
- Elkhorn Slough with 2,020 pounds
- Upper Carr Lake with 1,960 pounds
- San Lorenzo River at the Covered Bridge with1,664 pounds
- Lompico Creek with 1,425 pounds
- San Lorenzo River at the Tannery with 860 pounds
*The cleanup sites with the most trash removed, listed above, are all inland or river sites. We continue to see the highest levels of trash and debris at these inland and river sites.
Total pounds of trash removed in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties combined: 13,877
Total pounds of recyclables removed in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties combined: 2,950
See our photo album at http://tinyurl.com/accd-2012...
Over 1,000 volunteers brought their own reusable buckets, bags, gloves, and water bottles to help lower the carbon footprint of Annual Coastal Cleanup Day, as part of the Bring Your Own campaign.
Save Our Shores conducts reoccurring monthly cleanups in Santa Cruz County on the 3rd Saturday of each month, as well as in Monterey County on the 2nd Saturday of each month.
Volunteers and Site Captains, specifically in south Santa Cruz County due to the way ocean currents typically deposit debris, were looking out for tsunami debris from Japan. We will have detailed information once our cleanup data is crunched.
September 13, 2012
Join us on Saturday, September 22nd, from 12-4pm for the setting for the 2nd Annual Monterey Beer Garden!
Hosted by Peter B's Brewpub, Monterey Beer Garden is an intimate beer event featuring some of the best regional breweries. You'll interact with the actual brewers as they pour their beers, dine on top-notch BBQ, and mingle with fellow beer enthusiasts in one of the most beautiful setting on Monterey Bay.
$40 Admission includes unlimited beer tasting, BBQ and Live Music.
And that's not all - proceeds from this event keep your blue backyard clean and pristine because it's a benefit for Save Our Shores!
The participating breweries are:
- Peter B’s Brewpub
- English Ales Brewery
- Campbell Brewing Co.
- Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing
- Seabright Brewing
- Triple Rock Brewing Co.
- Tied House/Hermitage Brewery
- Rock Bottom Brewery
- Boulder Creek Brewery
- Hollister Hills Brewery
- Uncommon Brewers
- Drake’s Brewing
Posted by Save Our Shores at 12:08 PM
September 7, 2012
Well thanks to these Supporting Restaurants of Coastal Cleanup Day 2012, we can all support Coastal Cleanup Day 2012, and in turn create a healthier Sanctuary, cleaner communities, and trash-free watersheds around beautiful Monterey Bay!
Join us as we dine at the following ocean-loving restaurants on Saturday, September 15, where proceeds support Coastal Cleanup Day in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties:
In Santa Cruz County:
- The Picnic Basket
- Kianti’s on the Beach
- Charlie Hong Kong
- Davenport Roadhouse
- Gayle's Bakery
- Surfrider Cafe
- And don't miss a stop into The Penny Ice Creamery for free ice cream and Beckman's pie all day long!!
In Monterey County:
- Vesuvio, Carmel
- Old Fisherman’s Grotto
- The Fish Hopper
- Austino’s Patisserie
It takes a community to protect our Sanctuary...
Thank you for all you do to Save Our Shores!
Posted by Save Our Shores at 3:49 PM
September 6, 2012
How? Capitola was the only town in California chosen to take part in the Green Choices Recycling Challenge, and the town with the highest percentage of people reporting each month will receive the $100,000 grant! Capitola is currently in the bottom 5%, so be sure to sign up today, then tell everyone you know in Capitola about the 2012 Recycling Challenge!
Sign up now! It's essential, fun AND easy:
1. Register at Recyclebank.com...
2. Recycle and report it each week: We'll send you reminders!
3. And tell everyone you know about the Recycling Challenge
Your efforts to raise $100,000 for Capitola will be rewarded! Here's how:
- You'll be entered into the SOS Recycling Challenge Raffle. Prizes listed below.
- You'll receive coupons and deals from Recyclebank.
- If enough Capitola residents sign up for the Recycling Challenge, your city will become an even greener place to live thanks to the $100,000 grant that YOU helped earn!
SOS Recycling Challenge Raffle prizes include gift certificates to:
- The Well Within Spa
- Lavish Salon
- The Buttery
- L'Atelier Salon and Day Spa